Glossary of terms used in cyber security
- Command Line: That black screen with white characters (or green characters if you are into The Matrix) that reminds you of DOS. It is still the way that most serious programmers interface or work with the operating system, especially the Linux OS, by typing commands on a keyboard. A mouse doesn't work on the command line, so if you feel more comfortable using a mouse or your finger to get around, you should consider using a GUI.
- Console: see Command Line
- CLI: Command line interface. See Command Line
- GUI: Graphical User Interface. Pronounced gooey. Created at Xerox Parc many years ago, most GUIs today use a mouse or a touch pad or a screen as a way to interact with the operating system instead of typing commands on a keyboard (see Command Line).
- Image: the software file that contains the operating system (OS) that you will be working with in the competition and the practice leading up to the competition. You will work with Windows images (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 2016 Server, et cetera). You will also work with Linux images (Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16). Ubuntu is a brand name of the Linux operating system in the same way that Ford or Toyota is a pick-up truck brand name.